Montgomery County Criminal Defense Attorney
Representing Clients in Criminal Cases in Montgomery County
If you’ve been accused of a crime in Montgomery County, regardless of whether it’s a felony or a misdemeanor, you need someone on your side who will protect your rights and fight to prove your innocence. The experienced criminal defense attorneys at the Zeiger Firm are prepared to offer guidance and representation to help you preserve your freedom and your reputation.
Why Do I Need a Criminal Defense Attorney?
This is a frequently asked question, and there are numerous reasons why you should retain an experienced attorney to represent you. Below we discuss some of what an attorney can provide you.
- Education and experience: Regardless of your intelligence and prior experience with the law, if you’re not working in the court system day in and day out, and if you didn’t spend years before you began a legal career studying law and the art of persuasion, then you need an attorney on your side.
- Negotiation skills: One of the most important traits of a good criminal defense attorney is being able to negotiate. Having an attorney to negotiate aggressively on your behalf may mean the difference between a felony or a misdemeanor conviction and jail time or probation.
- A solid game plan: It’s hard to know, within the many layers of a criminal court case, where to begin and what to focus on. A criminal defense attorney understands what must be done, what needs to happen first, and how to address the inevitable bumps in the road that come with criminal defense cases. In addition, your criminal defense lawyer is likely well-versed in diversion programs, expungements, and other options that can help you put your criminal charge in the past.
- Knowledge of the arena and the players within it: If you were to take on the task of representing yourself in a criminal case, the court would expect you to know procedural rules that aren’t written down anywhere and to litigate against prosecutors who appear in court every day. At the Zeiger Firm, we know these unwritten rules. We know the prosecutors and the judges, and they know us and our reputation.
- Time: Criminal cases are generally time-consuming affairs. You likely have other things competing for your time, such as a job of your own, a family to raise, and much more. Protecting the rights and freedoms of our clients is our job, and we dedicate ourselves to providing high-quality legal representation.
- Access to investigators: Individuals who represent themselves in criminal court often do so without the benefit of an investigator. The prosecution has investigators working to prove your guilt, so why shouldn’t you have an investigator working to prove your innocence? We have investigators who work with us on behalf of our clients.
- Unbiased guidance: When it comes to being charged with a criminal offense, you may have already learned or will soon learn that everyone seems to be an expert on what you should do. A real expert, however, can offer you information about your options, an unbiased listening ear, and guidance that can help you make important decisions about your case.
What Types of Cases Does the Zeiger Firm Take?
The Zeiger Firm specializes in providing criminal defense in the following practice areas of Pennsylvania law:
- Drug crimes, including possession with the intent to distribute, delivery, knowing and intentional possession, and cases involving mandatory sentencing at both the state and federal level
- Gun possession crimes, including violations to the Pennsylvania Uniform Firearms Act
- Assault, including aggravated assault, simple assault, attempted murder, domestic violence, and associated crimes of recklessly endangering another person and possession of an instrument of crime
- Sex crimes, including rape, child pornography, sex tourism, Megan’s Law violations, child molestation, indecent exposure, involuntary deviate sexual intercourse, and lewd or lascivious conduct
- Driving under the influence (DUI) of alcohol or drugs
- Murder, homicide, and manslaughter
- Theft, robbery, and burglary, including car theft, gunpoint robbery, fraud, home invasion, and forgery
- Vehicular homicide
- White collar crimes, such as bribery, computer crimes, embezzlement, fraud, forgery, healthcare fraud, and insider trading
- Juvenile cases
Other Services We Provide
Beyond direct representation for standard criminal charges, we are willing to help out with a wide range of other aspects of your criminal case. Some of these additional services include:
- Appeals, including direct appeals and those petitioned under the Post-Conviction Relief Act. We also provide assistance with federal appeals issues, including Rule 33/ 2255 Motions.
- Accelerated Rehabilitative Disposition (ARD) program and other diversion programs, including Section 17, Section 18, Drug Treatment Court, DUI Treatment Court, Intermediate Punishment, State Intermediate Punishment, Motivational Boot Camp, Veterans Court, Summary Diversion, and the Accelerated Misdemeanor Program (AMP).
- Police brutality issues in Montgomery County.
What to Do If You’re Charged With a Crime
If you’ve been charged with a crime, you should take the following steps to ensure the best possible result:
- Request the presence of a qualified criminal defense attorney as soon as your Miranda Rights are read to you. We are often asked when the best time to contact an attorney is, and the answer is: immediately. Don’t speak to law enforcement until you have an attorney with you.
- Be honest with your lawyer. He or she can only offer you the best representation possible if you are open and honest regarding the entire situation.
- Don’t talk about your case on social media.
- If you’ve been released from custody pending trial, be sure to obey all pre-trial requirements, including mandatory check-ins, mental health evaluations, electronic monitoring, protection orders against you, and attendance at court hearings.
- Don’t attempt to contact witnesses or victims in your case. Not only is this likely a violation of pre-trial requirements, but it can also lead to further accusations against you and can jeopardize your case.
Call the Zeiger Firm for Help With Your Montgomery County Criminal Charges
Being accused of a crime can be life-altering. A good criminal defense attorney can help to preserve your quality of life by protecting your rights and leveraging in-depth knowledge of the law against those who would otherwise have you accept a stiff sentence for a crime you may not have even committed.
Founded in 2005 by Brian Zeiger, the Zeiger Firm prides itself on providing compassionate representation as well as a commitment to ethical and aggressive trial tactics that judges and juries respect. For a free consultation and to discuss your legal options, call the Zeiger Firm today at (215) 546-0340 or contact us online.