Police Brutality

What are my potential remedies in my Philadelphia police brutality case?

Remedies in my Police Brutality Case

I was assaulted by the police and I have a substantial injury. I want to sue the police for violation of my civil rights, but before I do that, I want to know what could be the possible remedies in my police brutality case. Learn more about Police Brutality Cases.

Monetary Damages

Obviously, monetary relief is one of the possible remedies in a police brutality case. If you were injured and you have outstanding medical bills, pain and suffering, missed time from work, or time spent in jail, you can ask for monetary damages. These type of damages are called compensatory damages. You can also ask for punitive damages, that is to punish the police officers. However, to get punitive damages is very difficult and you must prove the conduct of the officer was outrageous.

Other Remedies

You can also get declaratory and injunctive relief. This issue comes up when the client asks me if there is anything we can do to make sure a policy is changed so what happened to them never happens to anyone else. Or, can we get the officer fired so he can do this again to anyone else. The issue of declaratory and injunctive relief is much more difficult then monetary damages.

Brian J. Zeiger, Esquire, is an experienced and successful criminal defense and civil rights attorney. He is a seasoned trial lawyer with significant experience before juries and judges. Brian understands civil rights cases, including Taser, Wrongful Death, Excessive Force, Police Brutality, Police Misconduct, Malicious Prosecution, Monell Claims, Sexual Assault, Prisoner’s Rights, Time Credit, Medical Malpractice, and Medical Indifference.